Tuesday, September 8, 2015

In varying forms I have had this conversation many times over the course of twenty-seven years of being a pastor.  It goes something like this:  "So, you're a pastor?  Where is your church?  How big is it?"  Usually at this point in the conversation I try to remind them that it isn't 'my' church and then try to interject something humorous about the square footage of the church building where we meet.  Then the person continues, really not wanting to hear anything else from me.  "Well, I used to go to church but I find I can connect with God better out in the wilderness.  Besides, I think religion has done more harm to the world than good and I think God is basically the same in all the religions.  I think we should just live and let live."
Believe it our not these thoughts in various articulations are pretty common these days in our culture.  Fuzzy notions about who or what God is abound.
I find it fascinating how current the apostle Paul's speech on Mars Hill is.  It is found in Acts 17:22-34.  In it he puts forth a very clear description of God that clarifies and corrects much of this fuzzy thinking.  He basically makes five related points about the God of the Bible:
1.  God is a revealing being so that it is possible to have real knowledge OF God, not just knowledge ABOUT God.
2.  God is a living, personal being, not an inanimate, impersonal force.
3.  God is the self-existent Creator, not a dependent creation.
4.  God is the transcendent King of the universe and the immanent sustainer of it.
5.  God a a present and a righteous judge, not an indifferent or even doting grandfather.
I find these thoughts to be helpful in my personal journey and in giving me direction in more conversations I hope to have with people about the God in whom I believe.
A related subject is the issue about our reason, for humanities reason for being on this earth.  The Westminster Shorter Catechism puts it this way:  "What is the chief end of man-kind?"  Good question!  The answer:  "To glorify God and enjoy Him forever."  The understanding of God articulated above gives greater meaning to this answer.  How people think about God and how people think about the reason for their existence will say a great deal about how they go about living their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment